Sabine Meyer’s Perth concert reviewed….
“The stuff of great artistry” says Mark Coughlan in The Australian:
“The stuff of great artistry” says Mark Coughlan in The Australian:
Congratulations to the Cousin Quartet who are the inaugural winners of Musica Viva’s Strike A Chord, the first National Chamber Music Championship for secondary school ensembles. Performing live from the City Recital Hall in Sydney, the group claimed the Robert Salzer Prize, worth $5, 000. This inaugural Strike A Chord Grand Final was livestreamed from…
The Sydney Symphony Orchestra has unveiled its 2021 season with a rich mix of talent and a strong focus on Australian performers with national and international careers. A decidedly versatile programme, there is a great deal to look forward to in next year’s mix. Some highlights: -Chief Conductor Designate Simone Young opens the season with…
Thomas Strong, a 31-year-old tenor from New South Wales, has won the coveted Opera Foundation Australia Lady Fairfax New York Scholarship for 2014. The finals concert was held at the Eugene Goossens Hall of Sydney’s ABC studios where Strong sang Nessun Dorma from Puccini’s Turandot and Mamma, quel vino è generoso from Mascagni’s Cavalleria Rusticana for his…
The myth of the phoenix is well known – the fabulous, long-lived bird of fantasy which sprang with new life from the ashes of its pyre. The image has come to symbolise re-birth and re-invigoration. In Sydney it is the moniker for a newly formed ensemble of young singers from refugee backgrounds. Phoenix Voices of…
Elliott Carter, the composer whom Aaron Copland described as “One of America’s most distinguished creative artists in any field” died on November 5th, aged 103. His creativity showed no signs of abating in his final years. One of his most recent compositions, Dialogues II received its premiere just last month with pianist Daniel Barenboim and Gustavo Dudamel…
Opera Australia has announced that Shane Lowrencev has decided to withdraw from the incredibly demanding role of Hans Sachs in its upcoming production of Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg, opening in Melbourne on Tuesday 13 November. In a statement released this morning, the company stated “Shane feels exhausted and doesn’t want to compromise the production or…