Peek behind the curtains at Opera Australia during this free Behind the Scenes showcase at the Sydney Opera House, giving fans an insight into how a fully staged opera is brought to life.
Visitors will see how an opera is produced and will feature a full program of interactive foyer displays and on-stage demonstrations from a
variety of departments including wigs, wardrobe, props, and makeup, giving a unique opportunity to observe the busy life of one of the world’s leading opera companies.
Ask burning questions at one of the Q&A sessions with an opera singer, musician, conductor or director taking place every hour in the Joan Sutherland Theatre, learn to sing an opera chorus, or try on a real costume from one of OA’s past productions.
This is a rare opportunity for guests to watch OA’s talented artisan wigmakers hand-knot wigs strand by strand, listen to Carmen stage calls from a Stage Manager, and take a look at the history of OA with some unique never-before-seen items on display.
Behind the Scenes at the Opera is open to everyone and is suitable for those new to the art form as well as for opera lovers. Families are welcome.
In the theatre
• Hear the stage manager’s instructions and watch how it plays out on stage
• Q&As with an opera singer, a musician, a conductor and a director
• Learn to sing an opera chorus
In the foyers
• Try on an original opera costume
• Watch one of our professional wig-knotters create a hand-made wig
• Watch elaborate stage make-up applied step-by-step by OA make-up artist
• View costumes, wigs, set models, props and musical scores up close
• See the performance and rehearsal schedule of a week in the life of Opera Australia
• Take selfies with an actor in full opera costume
Admission is free but bookings essential via the Opera Australia website